Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Diary of the Daft

A quick, before bedtime top-ten bullet list of stuff on my mind from the last two days:
  1. I am SO pumped for the Iron Man release this weekend. (and HellBoy is on the horizon too!)
  2. There may be but one single "fine dining" restaurant in this area that consistently offers good food, good service and a good overall experience: The Courthouse Pub. We ate somewhere else that shall remain nameless today for lunch and I left wondering "Why do they do things that way?" It wasn't awful, just very, very mundane.
  3. My daughter Cheyenne is a surprisingly good stage actor. She needs to be a bit louder, but she is smooth and relaxed and very "real." I'm proud of her.
  4. People who let their dogs poop on the sidewalk and don't clean up after the animal ought to be forced to pick it up barehanded in addition to being ticketed...unbelievable that they let that stuff lie there.
  5. I have the weirdest and most intensely vivid dreams of any human being ever. Sometimes that can be a very cool thing. Too often it is a very unpleasant thing.
  6. My Dad is a really great guy. Occasionally he pisses me off but more often than not I look heavenward and say "thanks" for the parents I have. I am saying that right now because he is helping me out big-time with something that I find irritating as hell and am glad that I'm able to off-load onto him.
  7. I am pretty sure that God had a hand in the original creative spark that led to the creation of cigars and that he heartily approves of our enjoying such things like this that he has placed here for us to enjoy. Same goes for beer, wine and coffee.
  8. I hate getting up early on Wednesday mornings more than I hate getting up early on any other day of the week. It's almost midnight now and I'm irritated with the fact that I have to get up in five or so hours...and I feel this way every week.
  9. My wife is hot.
  10. I'm going to begin posting on our Diary of the Daft blog this week. Get ready.

6 comments:

Don said...

AMEN to Hellboy 2. Although I read that Lobster Johnson won't be in this one, which means there *will* be a Hellboy 3, which I'll take.

David said...

I think Lobster Johnson was (or is) going to be in one of the animated movies too, although I understand that there is a hold on producing the animated films right now. I like that the animated film uses the same actors for character voices as in the feature films.

The first Hellboy movie was good, almost excellent, but fell just a little short in my estimation. I am thinking that this second one will flesh the characters out more and get be more satisfying. Hellboy is certainly one of the greatest character concepts ever, and Ron Perlman is outstanding in the role!

Nate said...

i would never consider the courthouse pub "fine dining". every time i went there i felt ignored. i had a decent waiter once, but the wait times for a) seating and b) food were obscene. after all that, the food really didn't seem worthy of the wait

if being ignored is fine dining, i'd rather go somewhere less fine

David said...

That's one of those "funny" things, Nate...that two people can go into the same place and have completely different encounters and impressions. We have gone and continue to go to Courthouse Pub fairly regularly (although not very frequently these days because I'm here all the time), and I have never had a bad experience in either food or service. I don't doubt what you say, Nate, just that it's interesting how people experience things, or maybe more accurately what the experience is that the place gives to different people. We hear the same thing every single week about Element Bistro...one couple will come in and say it was wonderful in every respect and then a different couple will come in and say that they'll never go there again. And both opinions are valid, because that's the experience and impression that those people actually experienced.

tina kugler said...

I have always greatly enjoyed the food (and service) at both Element (crab cakes OMG) and Kurtz's. The service at the Courthouse Pub has never been an issue, but their food is wayyy too heavy for me. It tastes great in small quantities, but is seriously too rich for my palate, afterwards I feel like I ate a cannonball. (But people have different tastes, and that's great.) That being said, I'm glad all of them exist, because OPTIONS are what makes it a nice place to live. I sorely miss Neweys (esp for breakfast- the eggs benedict, OMG) but I also love breakfast at Warrens (hobo omelet!). I dearly love both Wrap It Up and Lates equally, and they are absolutely completely different, it just depends what we are in the mood for. I adore Chinatown Kitchen for certain dishes and prefer Hong Kong Buffet for others. I can't pass a brat fry without stopping. I am dying to see what kind of restaurant(s) opens in the Riverloft development. I eat like a farmhand and variety is the spice of life, after all. Okay I need to eat now.

David said...

Options, yes...that's the biggie in my book.